New Christian Black Metal 2016 (Orationem)

Metal related discussions. The headbanger's playground! Got some metal news? This is the place!

Moderators: DrNordic, Dr Apocalypse, XeNoMoRpH, Ghâshûl

New Christian Black Metal 2016 (Orationem)

Postby Hguols » Fri Mar 11, 2016 18:32

One of my goals before my surgery in April to remove my cancer was to finish another Orationem album.
Mission complete! I spent two weeks recording this, so I hope you Christian black metal fans out there like it.

What's different from the previous two full length releases is more guitar variety, and a "cello" (a multi layered sound from my Korg Legacy collection) to add a slight symphonic element. There's also a bit more doooooooooooooooooom in several tracks as well. I've always been a "pray and play" kind of guy, and the result, in my opinion, worked out very well!

Obviously, how my life has changed from my illness effected the lyrical content. No, its not "Tom's Cancer album", but the point-of-view prayer lyrics deal a bit more in the "trial and triumph" aspect than the prior two albums.

There's a pro-press version of the album coming soon (from Germany's No Sleep Till Megiddo Records) and the DIY US pressing is available now. Either disc is $7.50. Lyrics, samples, album info and store is at http://www.orationem.com

I swore off digital releases since piracy is ridiculous, but I do have a digital download version of the album (ID3Tagged with cover art and lyrics) if anyone here (on this forum) would like to purchase it, privately. That price is $3.75 for the album, where I'll e-mail you a direct download link. Please PM me if you're interested.

Thoughts? Opinions? Criticisms? Compliments?
Thank you for your time!

Kamerad Ash wrote:What point if that nation id Everyone's nation who can manage to get to it?
Hguols
Metal Warrior

Re: New Christian Black Metal 2016 (Orationem)

Postby Hguols » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:25

A German version of the Orationem "Pure Peace and Joy, Love and Kindness" release is now available! Unlike the US version which has on-disc printing and a two panel insert, this is "professionally pressed", including a 4 panel insert with lyrics and artwork.

The version of the release is available at the No Sleep Till Megiddo Store!

No Sleep Till Megiddo's YouTube channel also uploaded the song "Beauty in Your Creation" if you guys want to check out an entire track.

Kamerad Ash wrote:What point if that nation id Everyone's nation who can manage to get to it?
Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby CanadianMetalFan » Sat Mar 19, 2016 23:34

Thanks for posting your music and congrats that you are getting your cancer removed! I hope the surgery is successful! I like a lot of black and doom metal and to be honest with you I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, but I did! It was a little rawer than I like, but I think with a better production it could be even more enjoyable. The atmosphere reminded me a little of older Antestor still focused on black metal, but a little more progressive and variation. I couldn't understand all the vocals, but what I could make out I really liked. Killer vocals for sure! Good job man, thanks for sharing!

- Joel
"...we have a practical, historical and biblical mandate to fervently disobey any unconstitutional laws and all government officials who cease to be good ministers of Jesus Christ. God almighty is the only power that deserves unlimited obedience."
CanadianMetalFan
Metal Hero

Postby Hguols » Tue Mar 22, 2016 0:42

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you liked what you heard. :)
I've had some pretty good feedback so far - even 1 really good review.

I hope the surgery is a success. Not looking forward to the 6 months of intravenous chemotherapy after that. (according to my wife who works as a charge nurse at the hospital that's treating me, I will be sick all the time from that)

I know people like excellent production, and I like very good production on some things, but I think black metal at least needs to have some muck and mire. I've heard some releases that were so clean and sterile and it took away some of the atmosphere/presentation of the release, in my opinion. Its amazing how so many projects try to make fake drums sound real, but with squeaky clean production, I've actually thought some real drums were fake!

Sold almost 20 of the DIY units in about 10 days, which isn't bad. The money from that will come in handy for the co-payments for all the doctor appointments I've got in April. :shock:
Not sure how many of the pro-presses have sold as of yet. I was going to let that total accrue for a while before I attempt to get my percentage of the sales.

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Mon Apr 04, 2016 19:11

Another pretty good review of this album from this secular blog:
https://cadavergarden.wordpress.com/201 ... -kindness/

No score, but he said nothing bad about it!

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Tue Jul 26, 2016 16:39

From the start, I've been against digital distribution for Orationem, mostly because of the bad piracy experience I had with the 2015 Ankou Awaits album "Sobrwydd a Disgyblaeth". (for those not familiar with what happened, when the album was just completed, my brother and the CD pressing company were the only ones that had this album (master) and then all of a sudden 900 different blogs/torrents/etc. were sharing this album inn a matter of two days. The pressing company denies leaking it, but I believe my brother more than them.)

Orationem has done well on CD, well enough that I think its ready for the next step. Plus, as strange as this sounds, I do miss SOME piracy. Its free advertising, which does get the word out, which Orationem deserves to be more well known.

I do not want to take the "buy downloads!" approach through bandcamp, iTunes, Spotify, etc. I want to do something better than just lazily adding the same old MP3s and the same old album art JPG that those aware of Orationem have already seen. The plan is, I will make an official Orationem YouTube channel, monetize this account (which is $5 - $8 per 1,000 views, approximately), and then make organized and detailed LYRIC VIDEOS for EVERY SINGLE full Orationem track. This way, everyone can listen to the music for free, I can get some pocket money if the views do well and pirates (or YouTube alone) will advertise the album, broadening my audience.

This includes all 3 studio albums (self-titled, "Fulfiller Sustainer Preserving Protector" and "Pure Peace and Joy Love and Kindness"), a total of 18 songs.

I'll also upload the not live album, but it won't be a lyric video. I'll try to think of a different video presentation approach for this.

Also, in the coming weeks, when I feel able through this chemotherapy gauntlet, I'll start work on a 4th Orationem album. I've also decided to follow through again with the same approach as "not live", but hybridize its presentation with a studio sound. The newest Orationem had the best production and I hope to expand on the sound and add a bit of rawness to it. (All the black metal I've been listening to very raw and while I still want to progress on the innovative guitar and cello, I want an even better/nastier sound.)

That being said, when this album is done, I won't post a preview video like I have before. Full lyric videos for all the tracks will be on this official channel as well. As far as what the lyric videos will be like, I have a decent video editor that came with Windows 8.1 on my PC, and my new phone records video in 4K so... Lets see what I can do with a decent walk in the woods.

Any questions? I'll answer them the best I can.

Thanks for reading!

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Fri Aug 05, 2016 16:24

All the lyric videos for the self titled release are completed and uploaded.
Also managed to do something neat for the "Not Live" recording. Check it out!

(For those not familiar or haven't read the other Orationem threads, "Not Live in Central Illinois: A Night of Black Metal for Christ" is an over hour recording featuring 10 songs from the first two full lengths, presented in a live show manner.)

Hey guys, it would make my day of you would subscribe to the Orationem channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuoapw ... Priw7Drn0g

I've certainly got more to upload, 2 more released full lengths and the next Orationem album planned for 3rd or 4th quarter 2016.

Thank you,

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Thu Aug 18, 2016 21:04

The first two Orationem albums are uploaded as lyric videos. Check it out!
I do plan on doing more of the below types of videos for my YouTube channel.

It was a cluster to sync all the tracks, but it successfully captures me playing all the parts. (drums, 2 guitars and vocals) This is a remix of an existing Orationem track. I had subtitles with lyrics, but their placement by the video software blocks some of the guitar fretwork so I decided to leave them out and just put the lyrics in the comments.

What do you guys think? Please let me know!

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Farlig-K » Mon Aug 22, 2016 15:03

I haven't really listened to extreme metal in quite a couple of years, to be honest... My ears prefer more melodic and ever-so-slightly progressive takes on metal these days. I guess I'm not as tr00 and kvlt as I used to be a decade ago. :(
G O ( O ) D
--------------------------
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Title: Chief of the Ancients

Postby Hguols » Tue Aug 23, 2016 23:13

Yeah, I think a lot of people are that way. Myself, I've been in a really raw and harsh black metal mood lately. ...and since I'm driven to create it, I'll continue to do so. I think a lot of black metal fans would rather not comment, which is a bit of a blessing. When it comes to media, sometimes no news is good news.

My favorite definition of discipline is doing something I have (or want) to do, before I have (or want) to do it.
Toting around my chemo pump (something you can see the IV of in the mic track) I got another black metal prayer session done.

Its another remix/variation, more of the slow groove variety. (there's no way I have the energy for a fast track today while I've got a steady stream of 5FU poison being injected into me)

Took a little less time than the first track, but that's no surprise considering I don't have the same trial and error that I did the first track.

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Farlig-K » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:52

Well, I have to commend you for keeping your spirits high amidst the cancer treatment. I've also been dealt some mighty blows the past couple of years. No personal health issues (thank God), but just about every other personal, professional and family catastrophe you can think of. I've been struggling to keep up my own faith throughout all of this, as it just feels like a never-ending gauntlet with no end in sight.

The only solace that I've found these days is going out for a 3km jog each afternoon and listening to some melodic prog metal whilst doing so. It is literally the only highlight of my day and I will each day to end just so I can be outside on the road at 17:30.
G O ( O ) D
--------------------------
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Title: Chief of the Ancients

Postby Hguols » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:18

Sorry to hear about your complications. Exercise is an outlet for me too. I think I'm more "driven" than "positive" when it comes to my music. This chemotherapy is sucking the life out of me, and I think in a way, if I'm able to perform some music in that condition, perhaps it can capture some despair that may not be there if I was feeling well.

Man, its been a busy week away from my computer. Finally started the videos for the 2016 album, with that footage I was proud of, despite mosquitoes destroying me in the process of taking it. Hoping to get them all done this upcoming week.

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Tue Sep 06, 2016 0:42

I felt good today and decided to do another black metal prayer. Tried some more intensive fretwork. These are 2 remixed riffs from prior Orationem albums and why not - lets close the song with a Breviarium riff. (for those not familiar, that's my Christian death/black project from 2003)

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Tue Sep 13, 2016 20:52

Today marks a milestone for the Orationem YouTube channel. All the lyric videos are complete and 100% of Orationem music has been uploaded to the channel. I reviewed a few of my uploaded videos, and I'm a bit annoyed that some of the fade transfer effects didn't survive production, but in my opinion - its good enough. The music is there, the footage is there and so are the lyrics. ...just some lyrics don't "fade" away so much as they SOMETIMES appear or disappear.

Regarding Orationem itself, I've been mauling over a few things in my head. For one, I've had some thoughts with not even doing a 4th album, just putting some new stuff together for the black metal prayers. I've had some thoughts of following through with the 4th album, but not pursuing the "not live" elements. I haven't entirely decided...

This goes against more recent reviews and what CW reviewed, but I think the direction the "Pure Peace..." album took, is not the direction I want to go with Orationem. What's strange is that 1 week working on the self titled, 2 weeks working on Pure Peace.... the pinnicle/apex of Orationem feels to me to be at the Fulfiller album, which took 3 days. The riffs/songs are more memorable to me than the other albums for some reason.

New music, like the prayers, I'd like to focus more on the original/older 2-guitar style. ..."more" not "entirely". I think the cello either needs to make more or less of an appearance, and I think the music needs to be more RAW and dirty sounding...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Fri Sep 23, 2016 18:42

I'll just leave this here.

There's more information in the video comments. Any questions, you can always ask me!

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Next

Return to Metal Forum