Orationem (Christian black metal)

Metal related discussions. The headbanger's playground! Got some metal news? This is the place!

Moderators: DrNordic, Dr Apocalypse, XeNoMoRpH, Ghâshûl

Orationem (Christian black metal)

Postby Hguols » Mon Sep 07, 2015 16:03

I was reluctant to say anything here because
1) I don't think anyone is here
2) I don't think Europeans like American black metal (I know that's a stereotype - am I wrong?)

...but anyway, I figured worst case scenario is I'd completely waste my time making this post.

Orationem (pronounced Oh-Ray-Shun-Em) is Latin for the word “prayer", specifically referring to spoken prayer. This is a black metal project from the United States that has a very traditional “mid-90’s" black metal sound and performance. The music ranges from extremely fast to mid pace, with very emotional melodies. The lyrics focus entirely on prayers to the Almighty God in Heaven and His Son, Jesus Christ.

http://www.orationem.com

There's a "demo press" available now of the debut, self-titled full length release, with a Brazilian "professional press" coming soon.

Here's a few samples (1:40 of the track, not full track) of the release.
(not doing full tracks anymore after what happened with my last album)

Kamerad Ash wrote:What point if that nation id Everyone's nation who can manage to get to it?
Hguols
Metal Warrior

Re: Orationem (Christian black metal)

Postby Lysol » Mon Sep 07, 2015 20:07

1. Kinda correct.
2. Can't speak for everyone of course. But I like Wolves in the throne room. Basically, I like good black metal. American or European.

Anyway, sounds promising. Not my type of black (I'm more in favor of slower, more accented blasts. And as a drummer, drums are... important so to speak), but I liked the riffs on "I come to you for guidance". The guitar tone wasn't really my taste either but that I can live with and I guess it's the style you're after.

Don't stop posting these just because nobody's replying. There are like five active members here and maybe not all of them are into this particular BM genre. I know it's very discouraging when no one replies, but there are probably people that come and go on these forums that don't even have accounts and at least some of them probably listens. It's not like you're loosing a listener for posting links.

What happened with your last album btw?

EDIT: I just assumed this was your project. Is it?
Hej alla glada. Jag har inte något roligt internt forumskämt att skriva som signatur.
Lysol
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Tue Sep 08, 2015 15:03

Hi Lysol. Yes, Orationem is my project.
I know the particulars of having the drums a certain way. I'm a drummer as well and did all the parts for this release - I certainly see the drumming here as important.
Myself, I see "humanly faster" is in many ways "superior". (not faster with triggers or sequenced drums, humanly faster - as in as fast and stable as the person can go)
Slower accented blasts can be done right, but too many times it just sounds like the player is struggling at his set.

Regarding the advice about continuing to post here, I'll take it. At least visitors can still read it.

What happened with my last album had to do with the 5th full length release of Ankou Awaits. (signature)
I've been anti-digital download since because as soon as I got this online for digital distribution sales (and I'll lump YouTube into that)
800-900 blogs/torrents/file sharing sites started sharing the album for free.

In a way, I still see piracy as a form of free advertising, but... I don't like hundreds of people giving away copies of what I'm trying to make minor sales on.

Kamerad Ash wrote:What point if that nation id Everyone's nation who can manage to get to it?
Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Lysol » Tue Sep 08, 2015 16:09

About the drums: Clumsy phrased by me. I didn't mean the drums are "bad" and I like "good" drums, I meant that the drums aren't in the style of blast beating that I prefer, and since drums are very important to me, I would prefer drums played in a style I like in music I listen to a lot. Drums are as you say important to you too and then of course you're playing the drums in the style you like. And you're fast, really fast, which is impressive.

Completely understand it sucks trying to get a few coins from your project and people end up downloading instead.
Hej alla glada. Jag har inte något roligt internt forumskämt att skriva som signatur.
Lysol
Metal Warrior

Postby atleonar » Fri Sep 11, 2015 14:44

To my musical taste, this is the best I have heard from you so far. I ordered it straight away.
atleonar
Metal Hero

Postby Hguols » Sat Sep 12, 2015 15:32

Thank you Atle. I've emailed you regarding your order.

I just observed that Metal Survivor has the Brazilian exclusive pro-release now available.

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Sat Sep 12, 2015 15:36

Lysol wrote:About the drums: Clumsy phrased by me. I didn't mean the drums are "bad" and I like "good" drums, I meant that the drums aren't in the style of blast beating that I prefer, and since drums are very important to me, I would prefer drums played in a style I like in music I listen to a lot. Drums are as you say important to you too and then of course you're playing the drums in the style you like. And you're fast, really fast, which is impressive.

Completely understand it sucks trying to get a few coins from your project and people end up downloading instead.

I understood what you meant. I know you didn't consider the drumming to be bad. :)
Everyone has their fine tuned preferences to what they like in the music they make and what they listen to.

I'm sure what music you listen to has the same speed/style as the music you play.
Its the same with me. :)

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby atleonar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:46

The drumming is insane at times :) , but as a non-musician (or amateur guitarist) I listen more to the chord progression and vocals, and the sound and atmosphere in general. And I like this music. I also think the lyrics are fine. It's good to have black metal with no war and armageddon, and no need for advanced poetry analysis.
atleonar
Metal Hero

Postby Hguols » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:45

Thanks Atle. I plan on creating more Orationem with this style.

Ironically, I expounded on a style of black metal guitaring I did in 2003, rather than evolve my guitar style from Ankou Awaits.

Regarding the lyrics, I feel strongly that Christian bands shouldn't be anti-anti-Christian. Horde was enough and I've learned my lesson from GRIM.
Christians don't like or listen to music with lyrics bashing their faith - why would we want to do that to a disbeliever?

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Fri Oct 23, 2015 16:51

So, I was just a little bit bummed regarding the awesome job I got hired for, and got thrown under the bus by the recruiter there about my background.
Deep in prayer Wednesday, I felt God telling me to finish the next Orationem album.

I had the drums done labor day weekend (recorded in one day).  I sat down with a guitar and all these riffs just started coming to me.
I've never written music AND lyrics AND recorded an completed album in a total of 3 days before.  Especially an album that's 7 tracks and over 48 minutes in length.  

I wouldn't have thought that would have been possible, but I feel like I was just the instrument for His music and message.
...and obviously, through Christ, anything is possible.

Anyway, here's a lyric video for the first track. (the entire song)

This next video features 2 minutes of each song.  The title track (also the name of the album) really surprised me.
Its a really doomy track, reminding me a lot of the "Scepter of Blood" song I did in 99.

↑ The content of the video actually stops at 14 minutes.  Don't know why its listing as 21 minutes?  
No sense in watching / listening past 14 minutes - its just a black screen.

November 2015 is when I start selling these / making CDs.
Like the debut self titled, this album will also be $7.

Are there any questions?  
I hope you enjoy the work I've put in the last few days!

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Sun Nov 01, 2015 20:13

Happy November everyone!
You can order the new "Fulfiller, Sustainer, Preserving Protector" now from orationem.com - or through the link in my sig.
Orders will ship starting Monday!

If you live outside the US, please consider picking up the release from No Sleep Till Megiddo Records who's based in Germany.
I sent out their stock in the middle of last week and I'm sure they'll have it soon.

I'm sure it will save you (and me) in shipping cost!

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:52

A special pressing of the Orationem album is available at No Sleep Till Megiddo Records in Germany.
http://nosleeptillmegiddo.storenvy.com/ ... -protector

A good option to pick up the release if ordering through the US is ordering overseas for you.

I'd also like to mention, that if anyone wants this album for their radio show, I'd be more than happy to provide the album at no cost. :)

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56

I'll just leave this here. :)

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Postby Hguols » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:51

Finally got the website updated to include the "Fulfiller, Sustainer, Preserving Protector" shirts that are made to order.
A lot of shirt sites just photoshop the design over a shirt template... but considering how good the shirt looks, it was well worth using an actual picture of this product. (click the image to see a larger version if you'd like)

Hguols
Metal Warrior

Return to Metal Forum