Time for another prog-metal thread

Metal related discussions. The headbanger's playground! Got some metal news? This is the place!

Moderators: DrNordic, Dr Apocalypse, XeNoMoRpH, Ghâshûl

Re: Time for another prog-metal thread

Postby Farlig-K » Tue Feb 23, 2016 15:46

ozol wrote:Can I just add here that I think the new Dream Theater sounds like a disney musical?

Well, I said it.....

:P

I wasn't aware they released a new album! Listening to it as we speak... Can't really comment on the Disney sound thereof yet though, still only on the second track. :)
G O ( O ) D
--------------------------
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Title: Chief of the Ancients

Postby Farlig-K » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:12

Farlig-K wrote:
ozol wrote:Can I just add here that I think the new Dream Theater sounds like a disney musical?

Well, I said it.....

:P

I wasn't aware they released a new album! Listening to it as we speak... Can't really comment on the Disney sound thereof yet though, still only on the second track. :)

...and I listened to it. And it's bad. Really, really bad.

/off to listen to Evergrey's Hymns for the Broken again
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Farlig-K » Wed Apr 06, 2016 13:20

So, the new Circus Maximus album "Havoc" is actually quite good. I was extremely disappointed in the tracks they teased on Facebook / Youtube before the release and almost broke down in tears upon my first playthrough of the album. After a couple of spins, it has really grown on me and has earned its place in my daily list of albums to listen to while working:

1. Evergrey - Hymns for the Brokwn
  2. Orphaned Land - All is One
  3. Circus Maximus - Havoc
  4. Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun
  5. Teramaze - Her Halo
  6. Anubis Gate - Horizons
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Vily » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:27

Maybe I then need to give Circus Maximus a new chance with their latest album.

I just bounced into this band called Earthside. It seems to be at least interesting prog-metal band. Gonna give it a spin today.

Vily
Metal Hero

Postby Pirate » Mon Apr 11, 2016 20:36

Vily wrote:Maybe I then need to give Circus Maximus a new chance with their latest album.

I just bounced into this band called Earthside. It seems to be at least interesting prog-metal band. Gonna give it a spin today.

I like them somewhat but for some reason they give me this vibe of being more a project than a band. Its an incredibly lame thing to fault a group for but thats not my weirdest shortcoming :(
"Have you ever noticed that you can get salmonella from eating chicken but you cant get chickenella eating salmon?"

<------ This guy
Pirate
Metal Hero

Postby Farlig-K » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:44

PIRATE!

Any new bands / material I should be made aware of? I'm growing tired of my current playlist a really need something new... I've grown very fond of the new Pyramaze and would appreciate recommendations along the lines of them, The Paralydium Project, Anubis Gate and Teramaze. Honourable mentions to Evergrey and Orphaned Land's latest offerings (Hymns for the Broken and All is One), as I still have them on my daily playlist.
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Pirate » Thu Aug 04, 2016 14:25

Nothing new to report I'm afraid :?

Myrath's new release might be of interest, even though they do not sound like Pyramaze (or any other band for that matter).

"Have you ever noticed that you can get salmonella from eating chicken but you cant get chickenella eating salmon?"

<------ This guy
Pirate
Metal Hero

Postby Farlig-K » Mon Aug 08, 2016 19:03

Pirate wrote:Nothing new to report I'm afraid :?

Myrath's new release might be of interest, even though they do not sound like Pyramaze (or any other band for that matter).

Wow, a whole month for this reply to come through! I thought you might've moved on or something... Can I hit you up on one of the numerous social networking sites available these days?

Of interest to this thread: New Evergrey is coming in September! Their latest single "Distance" isn't too bad either:

G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Pirate » Thu Aug 11, 2016 20:08

Farlig-K wrote:
Wow, a whole month for this reply to come through! I thought you might've moved on or something... Can I hit you up on one of the numerous social networking sites available these days?

Of interest to this thread: New Evergrey is coming in September! Their latest single "Distance" isn't too bad either:
]

I had a fairly long summer vacation this year 8)

For sure, this is my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thomas.johnsrud.3

If we move the prog-metal discussion onto Facebook activity on this board will drop by 50% :lol:

<------ This guy
Pirate
Metal Hero

Postby Farlig-K » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:48

Pirate wrote:
Farlig-K wrote:

]

I had a fairly long summer vacation this year 8)

For sure, this is my Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thomas.johnsrud.3

If we move the prog-metal discussion onto Facebook activity on this board will drop by 50% :lol:

...but I might just gain some quicker band recommendations to while away the working hours with.
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Farlig-K » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:25

Pirate wrote:Nothing new to report I'm afraid :?

...and it did the trick for me. Gave the album a couple of spins yesterday, including one whilst I went out for a jog. Really enjoying it so far! Nice hints of Orphaned Land's last album (All is One), which I also enjoyed immensely.
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:37

So glad you liked it. I also find it to be better than their earlier releases. The new one seems slightly more modern and mature.
What is your favorite track so far? "I Want To Die" is a very strong track imo.

<------ This guy
Pirate
Metal Hero

Postby Farlig-K » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:20

Pirate wrote:So glad you liked it. I also find it to be better than their earlier releases. The new one seems slightly more modern and mature.

Would you believe it if I told you I've been humming it the whole morning so far? :D
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Postby Pirate » Fri Aug 19, 2016 20:51

Farlig-K wrote:
Pirate wrote:So glad you liked it. I also find it to be better than their earlier releases. The new one seems slightly more modern and mature.

Would you believe it if I told you I've been humming it the whole morning so far? :D

Haha that is awesome :D I'm trying my best to listen to the album as a whole and not just skip right through to my current favorites. Eventually they will all become favorites:)

<------ This guy
Pirate
Metal Hero

Postby Farlig-K » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:21

Pirate wrote:
Farlig-K wrote:

Haha that is awesome :D I'm trying my best to listen to the album as a whole and not just skip right through to my current favorites. Eventually they will all become favorites:)

Yeah I know the feeling. I force myself to listen to it straight through. It helps that I listen to it whilst out for a jog in the early evenings... I can't just easily skip the songs. :)
G O ( O ) D
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Metal Forum