Did a bit of a viking shoot couple of weeks ago...

Where the Grøt is... off-topic, non-music related discussions & a lot of fun!

Moderators: DrNordic, Dr Apocalypse, XeNoMoRpH, Ghâshûl

Did a bit of a viking shoot couple of weeks ago...

Postby BassOvercast » Wed Aug 05, 2015 21:24

So basically.... a couple of weeks ago rang me up after I'd been asleep for only about 3 or so hours and while I was pretty dazed he managed to talk me into coming for a viking photo shoot with him. I didn't fully realise what I'd agreed to until I'd properly woken up half way to Victor Harbor as he had shown up at my house 10 minutes after the phone call... but it was a lot of fun. And we did get some good photos out of the whole thing. You can check out the blog the photographer uploaded his best pics to and tells the story of what happened.

https://stevenfphotography.wordpress.co ... gs-invade/

Brad-K wrote:"Flop it on the flibbity-floo, rock it on the jim-jam, jump up, turn around, pick a bale of cotton....and hit 'enter'......simple!" :roll:
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Title: Levi, slayer of mice

Re: Did a bit of a viking shoot couple of weeks ago...

Postby Crossbearer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:39

Cool.
"Obviously they make me want to pee in public places, but that's mostly because I drink the "pickle juice" after I'm done downing a jar."
-Kheiron on pickles
Crossbearer
Metal Overlord

Title: Thrash Diddy

Postby BassOvercast » Fri Aug 14, 2015 17:30

Indeed it was. And cold. Cool and cold.
Brad-K wrote:"Flop it on the flibbity-floo, rock it on the jim-jam, jump up, turn around, pick a bale of cotton....and hit 'enter'......simple!" :roll:
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Postby Crossbearer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 19:23

You'll never be able to convince me that Australia can be cold.
Finland is cold.
Australia is not.
"Obviously they make me want to pee in public places, but that's mostly because I drink the "pickle juice" after I'm done downing a jar."
-Kheiron on pickles
Crossbearer
Metal Overlord

Postby BassOvercast » Fri Aug 14, 2015 21:45

Crossbearer wrote:You'll never be able to convince me that Australia can be cold.
Finland is cold.
Australia is not.

There's three different kinds of cold I've noticed.
This kind which speaks for itself (Australia has almost none of this outside of the Blue Mountains):

This kind, this kind is heat-loss cold. In this case, cold air coming from the south arctic, coupled with getting doused by ocean waves, being stuck in it for hours on end while wearing clothing that soaks the water and allows the wind to run through it, rather than blocking it. But it can come from many ways. Stuck on the streets homeless, with the pavement sucking the heat out of you etc (Australia has a LOT of this, if you know where to look/stay):

The third kind is one I seem to be immune to, because I have a lot of friends and family members that complain about a cold that I can't feel on any level so I just tell them they're idiots and to man up (or woman up, depending).
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Postby Brad-K » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:24

Crossbearer wrote:You'll never be able to convince me that Australia can be cold.
Finland is cold.
Australia is not.

You've obviously never felt the "desert cold."
"...Schnappster, half a joint o' ragweed...that's decent...now all we gotta do is find us some chicks..."
Brad-K
Metal Deity

Title: Any Lengsel News Yet?

Postby BassOvercast » Sat Aug 15, 2015 14:30

Brad-K wrote:
Finland is cold.
Australia is not.

I have actually. I forgot about that one. I haven't been up in the Riverlands for YEARS. Winter night is so very, very cold.
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Postby Farlig-K » Sun Aug 16, 2015 20:48

I yearn for cold weather. We just had winter here and the coldest the temperature dropped to was around 10 degrees Celsius - and that was in the early morning hours when it's supposed to by icy. Daytime temperatures were around 15-20 degrees Celsius. I hate hot weather. :(
G O ( O ) D
--------------------------
\\\GOD IS GOOD///
Farlig-K
Metal Champion

Title: Chief of the Ancients

Postby BassOvercast » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:57

Farlig-K wrote:I yearn for cold weather. We just had winter here and the coldest the temperature dropped to was around 10 degrees Celsius - and that was in the early morning hours when it's supposed to by icy. Daytime temperatures were around 15-20 degrees Celsius. I hate hot weather. :(

Maybe one day you can enjoy this experience:
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Postby Crossbearer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 14:32

BassOvercast wrote:
Brad-K wrote:
Finland is cold.
Australia is not.

I have actually. I forgot about that one. I haven't been up in the Riverlands for YEARS. Winter night is so very, very cold.

So have I.
I once slept in the desert, one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Except for the scorpion in the sleeping bag, that was less cool.
-Kheiron on pickles
Crossbearer
Metal Overlord

Postby BassOvercast » Mon Aug 17, 2015 19:29

Crossbearer wrote:
BassOvercast wrote:
Brad-K wrote:You've obviously never felt the "desert cold."

So have I.
I once slept in the desert, one of the greatest experiences of my life.
Except for the scorpion in the sleeping bag, that was less cool.

Did you become friends in the end?

BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Postby GabrielaOlem » Fri Aug 21, 2015 16:34

Hey, as a photographer myself I gotta say: really beautiful images!
Congrats to the photographer and models, there was a really moody atmosphere and that image of all the three together?? That slow speed ocean?? Really cool!
You did very well indeed. :D

About the cold for me: 20°C is very cold! haha I live in one of the warmest places of Brazil. Our temperature goes from 24 to 32°C usually - the whole year.
GabrielaOlem
Metal Wannabe

Postby BassOvercast » Fri Aug 21, 2015 18:26

GabrielaOlem wrote:Hey, as a photographer myself I gotta say: really beautiful images!
Congrats to the photographer and models, there was a really moody atmosphere and that image of all the three together?? That slow speed ocean?? Really cool!
You did very well indeed. :D

About the cold for me: 20°C is very cold! haha I live in one of the warmest places of Brazil. Our temperature goes from 24 to 32°C usually - the whole year.

Yeah, as a photographer I can attest to the fact that he is very impressive. I was really happy with his work. I just wish we'd been able to get more photos taken in different ways. But there was only so much time in the day.
I like the one about the three of us on the rocks together, because that was all natural lighting. So there was just us being us and the world doing it's own thing and it all matching up into that photograph.

Also. I don't think I could handle having temperature that that small a level of variation. 2 seasons (winter/summer) in Australia is almost not enough for me. heh.
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Postby GabrielaOlem » Sun Aug 23, 2015 20:39

BassOvercast wrote:I like the one about the three of us on the rocks together, because that was all natural lighting. So there was just us being us and the world doing it's own thing and it all matching up into that photograph.

Gotta love natural lightning, hun? I rather 10x the natural than the strobes. The main reason is what you said: no pressure for people stand, pose and wait - just be themselves.
And yeah, I think there should be more pictures done, since there was a considerable production (makeup and clothes). I finishes reading the post and was like: where is the rest?? hehe

BassOvercast wrote:Also. I don't think I could handle having temperature that that small a level of variation. 2 seasons (winter/summer) in Australia is almost not enough for me. heh.

Here we use to say that there is these seasons: hot, heat, torrid and sultriness - all four look much alike. :) Joking, actually there is only the season where it rains more (winter - 4 months) and the season where there is almost never a drop of rain (summer - 8 months). I wish so much there was a real autumn and spring... :(
GabrielaOlem
Metal Wannabe

Postby BassOvercast » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:12

GabrielaOlem wrote:
BassOvercast wrote:I like the one about the three of us on the rocks together, because that was all natural lighting. So there was just us being us and the world doing it's own thing and it all matching up into that photograph.

Gotta love natural lightning, hun? I rather 10x the natural than the strobes. The main reason is what you said: no pressure for people stand, pose and wait - just be themselves.

I'm mostly a landscape/nature photographer. The majority of my subject matter is somewhat difficult to light up any particular way I want it to. I've learned to work with that rather than fight it.

GabrielaOlem wrote:And yeah, I think there should be more pictures done, since there was a considerable production (makeup and clothes). I finishes reading the post and was like: where is the rest?? hehe

There were quite a few pictures taken. I'm trying to remember how it went down. We got on location close to midday. Took us a couple of hours to get dressed up and make up applied etc.
Then it was about an hour and a half or so of taking those single photos. Then we went scouting for the next location which was the group shot.
I went out there and while the others took a break, and the photographer decided which gear he would and wouldn't bring to his photographing spot I stayed where I was. I was there for at least two hours waiting on them. And eventually they showed up. Possibly another half hour or so of that before eventually Ryan, Queenie and I bailed off the rocks and climbed up the cliff face.
By that point it wasn't dark, but it wasn't long off being dark. Went to a restaurant and had dinner together before we all went home.

GabrielaOlem wrote:
BassOvercast wrote:Also. I don't think I could handle having temperature that that small a level of variation. 2 seasons (winter/summer) in Australia is almost not enough for me. heh.

Here we use to say that there is these seasons: hot, heat, torrid and sultriness - all four look much alike. :) Joking, actually there is only the season where it rains more (winter - 4 months) and the season where there is almost never a drop of rain (summer - 8 months). I wish so much there was a real autumn and spring... :(

At least you can use the Swimming Pool/Beach all year 'round?
BassOvercast
Metal Champion

Next

Return to Yeah Yeah Yeah