Talking to strangers

Official Forum • http://www.nordicfest.no

Moderators: DrNordic, Dr Apocalypse, XeNoMoRpH

Re: Talking to strangers

Postby atleonar » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39

I don’t think there have been so many wise words in any of the threads I have started before. :) It’s also surprising to learn that some of the really cool people here, like XeNoMoRpH himself, thym the jewelry designer and even Ghâshûl describe themselves as shy.

We must be reminded of this topic before festivals in the future. It’s good to see that many of us want to be more active when it comes to talking to strangers. We all have a responsibility, but I think it’s an advantage if some of those who are “well integrated” and really have warm feelings for Nordic Fest take a special responsibility.

I know from church that it’s difficult to make everybody feel included. As others have mentioned, it can sometimes be hard to make a conversation last beyond a few seconds. Others will cling to you forever if they don’t have anyone else to talk to. Some people may even feel bad when they realize that they are subject to somebody’s good deeds, perhaps because they have often been disappointed by people before, and they will reject the “social worker” even though being seen by someone is what they are longing for. Social workers must be prepared for things like that, and a bit self-confidence and social antennas come handy.

Do you think it would be easier to make new friends if there were adjustments to the program? Sadly I could not attend the service in the cave this year either. The cave dwellers probably have much better opportunities for socializing. I wouldn’t mind “kirkekaffe” (church coffee) after the service on Friday for instance. If something like that can be arranged at a future festival, I will gladly bake a cake. :D
atleonar
Metal Hero

Postby Fiona » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:17

Good point, Atle.

I just think that only coffee drinking won't add much, from what I experienced in the cave. People are also sitting together there, having breakfast or lunch etc...

I think a teamwork thing could really add something to 'talking to strangers'. What about some games (no sports please, we already smell/ sweat enough at the concerts) where people are in a team and have to work together, or just boardgames or something....that could work somehow. It's a way of fellowship and getting to know each other in a different way.

What do you think?
Fiona
Metal Myth

Title: Metååååll Mistress

Postby TýnaCheese » Fri Nov 05, 2010 20:02

I like Fiona's idea. Playing games is a nice way how to get people together and lose the shyness.

Maybe something like the settlers, jenga, twister ...
"IF YOUR PROBLEM IS BIGGER THAN YOUR GOD, YOU ARE SERVING THE WRONG GOD."

ImageImage
TýnaCheese
Metal Hero

Title: Czech-Chick

Postby atleonar » Fri Nov 05, 2010 20:36

Yes, games could be nice. Or maybe a quiz.
atleonar
Metal Hero

Postby moonchild » Fri Nov 05, 2010 23:17

i agree on the game idea! games and sports are in my opinion some of the best ways to get to know people. then you always have something to say and if not it's okay because at least you're doing something. :P

quiz is another great idea. or just a deck of cards, there are so many fun card games :D
This time I won't ignore, not hesitate, just adore
moonchild
Metal Warrior

Postby ligeia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 22:37

I start talking to strangers when I'm very tired, especially the last night/day of NF. It all starts as a joke and the person's first impression is that I'm laughing at/moking them. I know I'm not doing that but at the same time I can help but giving this impression. The good part is that it ends up having a lot of fun, talking about ourselves and becoming friends in the end.
"They surrounded me on every side, but in the name of the LORD I cut them off"
ligeia
Metal Wannabe

Postby Fiona » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00

I can get silly too when I'm tired. It's a funny way of making contact (D'oh) :D

Maybe an idea for the Nordic Fest crew for next year? Some game things on a Friday or Saturday.. no sports please (again saying it) we'll be sweaty and smelly enough after the concerts :wink:
Fiona
Metal Myth

Postby SilentWhisper » Tue Nov 16, 2010 23:40

Good ideas all of you...myself I thinking of maybe hanging a sign on myself like "I'm huggable",I talk to you,pull my sleeve" or "Let's headbang"..or something...I think I could made up something great.

And I would love to fix people with people..(no dating though,not my business...)
SilentWhisper
Metal Addict

Postby BrianMadsen » Thu Nov 18, 2010 15:53

i talked with a lot of people this year, some being totally strangers to me, so that was nice!
BrianMadsen
Metal Hero

Postby Fiona » Wed Nov 24, 2010 19:29

SilentWhisper wrote:Good ideas all of you...myself I thinking of maybe hanging a sign on myself like "I'm huggable",I talk to you,pull my sleeve" or "Let's headbang"..or something...I think I could made up something great.

I'm not sure if I would go for that. Personally I would avoid persons doing that, I think....too much begging for attention...I dunno.... :-k
Fiona
Metal Myth

Postby Averzaath » Wed Nov 24, 2010 22:28

Fiona wrote:
SilentWhisper wrote:Good ideas all of you...myself I thinking of maybe hanging a sign on myself like "I'm huggable",I talk to you,pull my sleeve" or "Let's headbang"..or something...I think I could made up something great.

I'm not sure if I would go for that. Personally I would avoid persons doing that, I think....too much begging for attention...I dunno.... :-k

I know you wouldn't!
Framund wrote:No, Bob, you've got it all wrong. YOU are not supposed to be excited. Ever. [-X
Averzaath
Metal Champion

Postby SilentWhisper » Wed Nov 24, 2010 23:28

No no...that was more an attempt to.."undress" the uncomfortable part that people might feel..I mean,if I make an bum out of myself people may relax....or at least that was my thought.....anything else than that was intentional...I'm not that much of attentionseeker most of the time actually...don't feel that need...
SilentWhisper
Metal Addict

Postby SilentWhisper » Fri Nov 26, 2010 15:54

But hm..I guess,I maybe even make it worse by doing that huh?
Too bad...I better be more observant to next time..and i'm out ideas....
but..I don't bite..hard :)
SilentWhisper
Metal Addict

Postby Crossbearer » Sun Nov 28, 2010 21:04

And I would love to fix people with people..(no dating though,not my business...)

Just realised who you are. :D
Had no idea you're on here as well.
"Obviously they make me want to pee in public places, but that's mostly because I drink the "pickle juice" after I'm done downing a jar."
-Kheiron on pickles
Crossbearer
Metal Overlord

Title: Thrash Diddy

Postby Averzaath » Sun Nov 28, 2010 21:11

Crossbearer wrote:

Just realised who you are. :D
Had no idea you're on here as well.

likewise, but in the other thread, were you wrote your name.
Framund wrote:No, Bob, you've got it all wrong. YOU are not supposed to be excited. Ever. [-X
Averzaath
Metal Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Nordic Fest 2017